This is my last musing from the laundromat before Christmas. I just peeked up from my table and over a washer to see if there were any decorations … I do see a fake poinsettia poked strategically in a fake potted plant – but other than that – nope.
Halloween they had a skeleton on the bathroom door – perhaps it is a paganmat – which would be fine by me, only I don’t see any solstice decorations either. No Yule altars on the folding tables.
Anyway, what was I saying? Oh yes, this is the last musing before Christmas (tangents are your gift, you’re welcome.)
I’ve decided I have the best friends on the planet.
Friday my friend Ruth brought tears to my eyes and renewed my faith that if you do the right things, and are kind – you DO receive kindness in return. The point is though, you shouldn’t expect it.
Kindness is magic. Right Derek?
It occurs to me, I really need to look into what photos I can use from the internet – but I can think of worst things than Ricky Gervais asking me to remove something.
‘Madame, kindly (the magical kind) remove the photo of me and the dog.’ Or, ‘Madame, kindly (still the magical kind) remove your clothing.’ :-O Ricky!!!
Back to expecting things.
Anyone who knows me knows I don’t expect anything. Almost to the point of channeling Eeyore. Hope from time to time? Yes. But certainly don’t expect.
Yesterday I went shopping – it wasn’t as bonkers as I was expecting. (Oh my goodness! I DO expect things.)
I didn’t cross everything off of my list, but got to say ‘Merry Christmas’ a few times and had the experience of being outside with other humans, so it was overall pretty great.
That’s another facet to this season I was missing. I was telling my friend Betty … I haven’t BEEN anywhere! One of my favorite things about the holiday season is the cheer and good nature from strangers.
It’s hard to bump into a stranger and witness cheer or good nature when I’m either in an office, driving to and from the office, or in my house (Gawd, I would HOPE I didn’t ‘bump into’ a stranger whilst driving! Or in my house. Because we know, Butters is crap at protecting me.)
Betty gave me some pretty adorable little earrings. (She knows me – she knows I only do ‘little’.)
She also gave me a ceramic gingerbread house that warms oil that Nic has adopted. That child has inherited my love of scents it seems.
He keeps absconding with candles and air freshening devices into his room.
The entire house smells of peppermint this morning courtesy of the late night fragrance kid.
Speaking of fragrances – after my shopping experience, I checked the mail.
There was a small box for me from my friend Rachel.
An entire bag of samples!!! I was over the moon. 🙂 She read my December 15th post and was sweet enough to send me more ‘little scents’ to be excited about.
(Probably I should hide them from Nic. Although – he hasn’t shown any interest in my perfumes yet … just household fragrance devices.)
So this brings me to wonder, if I blog about something – will it be sent to me?
If so – here’s what else I love.
Kindness for you.
Health and happiness for you and yours.
Wishes to come true for you.
Love for you.
And serenity and a peaceful heart – for you.
I’ll take a naked mole rat colony please and Santa, I’ve been good, may I please have my lobster?
Hey Merbear264 thank you for nominating me for the Liebster Award. 🙂 You can visit Merbear264 at her blog http://knockedoverbyafeather.wordpress.com/
This award is given to bloggers with less than 200 followers that a blogger feels should get some recognition.
Rules are, first, I am to thank the person who nominated me. (Of COURSE I would do that anyway!) Thank you Thank you Thank you! 😉 Directions at the very end for my nominees.
11 things about myself:
1. I’m a ‘legal alien’ here in the U.S.
2. I love banana flavored things, but not real fond of bananas.
3. I love cherries, but despise cherry flavored things.
4. I don’t do ‘croutons’. To me, a crouton is nothing more than a piece of toast that was forgotten about, hardened, got cold and then someone grabbed it out of the toaster anyway and ate it! EWWWWWW!
5. I can wiggle my right ear. OK, you have to watch really carefully, but I can.
6. Fluent in the old Italian finger spelling manual alphabet. (Signing)
7. I must have a box of Good & Plenty’s next to my bed every night. I’ll wake up some mornings with little pink or white marks on me from rolling onto a candy coated shell.
8. I went skydiving for my 16th birthday – static line, not tandem. I refused to hit any of their altitude points either, I steered around in sheer delight! The sky was MINE!
9. My favorite flower is the daisy.
10. Most of my favorite songs end up on some ‘worst ever songs’ list. (lol! Hey – ‘We built this city’ rocked! and so did ‘Seasons in the Sun’)
11. I was almost sold in Afghanistan when I was 9 years old.
Questions from Merbear264 for me to answer:
1. Fact or fiction? UG! Both – Fictional books, Factual documentaries.
2. What is your favorite animal and why? The naked mole rat. Only mammal that lives in a colony like ants, or bees – with a caste system and a queen. Plus they’re adorable.
3. Do you think being rich would make you happy? NO!!!!!!!!!!! NO NO NO NO.
4. Are you bright-eyed and bushy-tailed in the morning, or grumpasauras rex? I’m cheery – but my tail doesn’t bush until mid morning.
5. What is your favorite dessert? Neapolitans! You know, those puff pastry delights with the squiggly chocolate design atop the white icing? No? Here …
6. What is your favorite thing about blogging? Other than having a creative outlet, getting to interact with people from all over the world.
7. Do you like reality TV shows? Yup – especially Top Chef & Face Off
8. If you could have lunch with one famous person, dead or alive, who would it be? Dalai Lama!
9. What is your favorite breakfast cereal? Tied between Raisin Bran Crunch and Kix
10. Do you believe that love is all we need? Yes I do.
11. Chocolate or vanilla? Possibly strawberry? Strawberry! In a cone please.
Blogs I nominate:
I honestly don’t follow many blogs that have less than 200 followers. SO! I nominate the following blogs that I love, if you don’t qualify, don’t participate I guess (and you can’t nominate me back):
The Return of the Modern Philosopher
Belly Button Blues
The Why About This
Here are YOUR questions:
1. It’s true! December is the end of the world, who are you hanging with that day?
2. Favorite movie (OK, just keep it to three top ones)
3. You have to look and peck at the keyboard or are you touch typing?
4. You’re caught in the rain, are you mad?
5. Rather be freezing or overheated?
6. Favorite teacher and why?
7. You didn’t get a pardon – what’s your last meal going to be?
8. Best pick up line in your arsenal?
9. Something you do that you swore you’d NEVER do when YOU were a grown up!
10. Time your alarm is set for?
11. Favorite sound?
There are 4 steps to receiving this award..
- List 11 things about yourself.
- Answer your nominator’s 11 questions.
- Choose up to 11 bloggers with less than 200 followers and ask them your own questions.
- Inform your nominees of their award nominations.
I like odd things. I like them around me. I nest ^_^
To call my tastes in music, literature, perfumes and decor ‘eclectic’ would be putting it very mildly.
Some of my favorite things surround me at home.
I have a naked mole rat in my bathroom on a shelf (did you know, they’re the only mammals known to live in a eusocial environment with a caste system? Yes, there are Queen Naked Mole Rats, how cool is that?!. And they’re adorable to boot).
(Here’s a web cam you can visit to see them in action: http://nationalzoo.si.edu/Animals/SmallMammals/default.cfm?Cam=NMR)
Snails join my rat on the shelf – I collected snails after studying them for quite a while. I have snails from amazing artists all over the world. (Did you know, snails are cupid like … well, they use a ‘love dart’. A calcareous spike is fired into a potential mate, and almost all land snails are hermaphrodites?)
I also have framed Michael Parkes, Carol Jessen and Monet stored in there too.
OK, so I’m in my 40’s and our kitchen boasts framed cereal boxes of Count Chocula, Boo Berry and Franken Berry. It’s also where the Punch and Judy bank, pine cone owl and a Japanese lantern lives. I love color! And fun!
Living room? A purple couch, red rug – Breakfast at Tiffany’s artwork, Family Guy figurines, an angel and a boxed Hikaru Sulu (who doesn’t love George Takei’s Facebook page?)
My bedroom … good grief. From Yoda to my own paintings – fairy lights, an Indian elephant wind chime and books from Worlds End to Soul Pancake.
No matter where I’ve ended up, my little bits and pieces make home ‘home’ for me.
Do I even need to say it? I KNOW ‘things’ aren’t as important as people. But talk about simple pleasures! Evey little piece reminds me of a happy time in my life. The elephants? Being in an outdoor market in India. Yoda? My love for Star Wars.
When I come home – after a long day at work or am feeling a little down, no matter what room I’m in there’s something fun to put a smile on my face.
I like happy.